Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving, 2006 - the race

The wind was driving the heavy rain into my ear. My shoes were soaked and I shook my head like a dog to get rid of the drops of water hanging heavy on the bill of my hat. I was in the second mile of the Manchester Road Race, going up the hill with over ten thousand other runners. The woman next to me said to her running partner, “Well, this is one we’ll tell stories about” and she was right. There was pouring rain, a strong wind, and sheets of water slipping down the hill, and I was happy. Mo, Meg, Sam and I were running together while Cal held down the fort at home. Last year we missed the race because we went to Nancy’s in Virginia for Thanksgiving. Now, the chi was being brought back into balance – the god’s of the race knew we’d missed the snow last year and decided to reward us with cold, wind swept rain to make up for it.

Baka, Pop, Cathy and Art and their friend, John, came for Thanksgiving. Dave and Darsie cancelled at the last moment and Tom and Julie went to Long Island, so this year was smaller than usual, but it was great. It was such a relaxed day. Ironically, our dishwasher broke last night, but it made the day even better. We stood at the sink and washed dishes while others dried. We talked and laughed and called to wash instead of dry– just like the old days. I told Cal how I used to wash dishes with my grandfather and how I always remember him telling me that you had to use water so hot it would scald you if you kept you hand in it. For a brief moment, he was with me again – I was him passing on the same lesson. I guess that is what holidays are for – to remember and create memories.

The race got the day off to a perfect start. This was the first year we’d all ran together. Meg talked about how they used to come and watch me race, and no matter how carefully they looked they never saw me. If we can get Cal to run, it will be even more fun. It was a good race –Meg and I finished together, holding hands as we crossed the finish line. Sam was an easy five minutes ahead of us. I saw Mo about 100 yards ahead of us and told Meg we should speed up and catch her at the finish line. She said she didn’t have it in her to speed up and that I should go ahead. I said no - I would finish with her. Some things are small gifts God gives us and finishing with Meg was my gift for today. Carpe diem. Next year, next year we’ll catch up together and finish win together.

1 comment:

joeydee said...

"that is what holidays are for – to remember and create memories." That rings true, Jim. Maybe you remember. Last Thanksgiving it snowed, not heavy but a wet coating. My wife Wendy and I drove to her brother Tim's house to pick him up and drive to her parent's for dinner. We had my truck and Wendy's car, because Tim has an annual Texas Holdem game at his house Thanksgiving evening after all the eating and football is done.

So I pull my little S-10 pickup up his driveway, which is unplowed, and it slides off the back of the driveway and lands a wheel in the mud. I'm wearing my nice tan jeans and a collared shirt (spiffed out for me!) Tim and I get behind the truck and Wendy gets behind the wheel, and of course I'm behind the muddy wheel. I tell Wendy to put the truck into drive and--wouldn't you guess--she does so and floors the gas pedal! By the time I can drop the F-Bomb I'm COVERED with mud! The funny part is Wendy and Tim were saying, "it's not so bad..." but I ende up driving myself home to get changed while they drove to Canton, and I got there just in time for dinner. (Never call me late to dinner!)

This year we all laughed about it. It's like you said, holidays are for making memories.