Sunday, November 19, 2006

Lift the veil.

I don’t know why, but the fact that bloggers and other net based sites are built on made up names and anonymity bothers me. I fully understand that there are times and situations when anonymity is critical and needed. However, it seems that in most of the blog world it really isn’t necessary. It seems a way to back away from reality rather than confronting or embracing it. What does it say about a person who creates multiple personalities to communicate with the world, or to play a site like Wikipedia for your own ego building purposes?

I love blogging and have actively encouraged others to start blogging. It is a great way to speak when you are alone. I heard Colin say the other day on his show how he sometimes speaks to himself out loud in public and how cell phones are a help since it appears everyone is speaking to themselves. I’m not an only child but I can relate. I use the blog, as I am now, to express my thoughts. Many times I find that I argue with myself as I write and the act of committing thoughts to type helps mold them more efficiently. If I am not me when I blog, then I don’t think I can be as truthful. I know that sounds odd. If I have the veil of anonymity, I think I would not be as thoughtful – I would speak without thinking and that is not me. I suspect that a lot of negativity and ‘flaming’ is a result of people being able to hide behind the fake persona, and it is this aspect of blogs I detest.

No comments: