Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Connecting to Information - Canto II

I have always been in an information gathering and sharing position. In banking, I was in sales and management. I was successful because I could take complicated financial concepts and communicate them out to a broad audience – the aged widow and the hostile board or investment committee – with equal success. I loved the trust and investment business because it never stopped changing, and being a source of information and communication was an important position. There are a myrid of reasons I choose to leave banking and go into teaching. The basic reason is I wanted to do something good, something that was not simply about making money and focusing on everyone elses idea of success. However, I also always thought it would be fun to teach. That fun involved learning new things and then turning around and giving that knowledge to a group of young people. What I never quite realized is that my audience might not be interested learners, but more like the hostile client who doesn't want to listen to you. It interests me that my sales and management experience are as important to my teaching survival as my academic knowledge. When I think about it, my career choices, success, and happiness have been directly related to my love of learning new information and my desire to share it.

No comments: