Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Blogging and the person

I have been thinking about why I blog - especially since I felt challenged last class. It was interesting to have one's blog analyzed while you sat there. I think the issue was my statement that I am not interested in writing my blog for an audience, that it would evolve into a record for me - and those who have begun to read this site. I stand by that statement despite the obvious fact that I am careful about what I write. I think I have found the answer in the article that Colin posted about blogs. While I write for myself, I am very much aware, especially during this time while in class, that others will be reading the blog (the article talked about blogs existing between private and public space). I also find that people in class, and at least one person outside of class, respond more positively to my personal posts than class related posts, so I am even more aware of their style and content. I guess what I was trying to say was that I don’t see myself trying to create an audience for this blog, and, therefore, shaping it for that audience. I am writing for myself, but recognizing that someone might drop in my ego requires some style and care.

I also think the blog represents my personality, which tends to be careful and formal, and that, by the way, is what interests me about the visuals of blogs. I changed my blog when Aldon commented on it and I saw it through someone else's eyes. It was boring and did not represent me. I realized that I needed to change the code and reflect my love of art, words, and living in a pleasant, colorful place. The blog is my cyber home and I wanted it to reflect me.

I think we are attracted to blogs in the way we are attracted to people, albeit in a superficial way). We instinctively search for visual clues that subliminally inform us if we have something in common with this person and should stay and connect. Visuals tell us about the person and either attracts us or not. The same thing happens with blogs – we look and are either interested or not. My question is what are those visuals and do we consciously or unconsciously build them into our blogs.

1 comment:

Aldon Hynes said...

I think you are hitting a bunch of important issues here. Why do we blog? I’ve often suggested that for many writers, independent of the medium used, and I include myself in this category, we write because we must. It is part of who we are. It isn’t about audience.

Yet, nonetheless, our audience affects how we present ourselves. It changes us. In a lot of ways it isn’t really any different than how our audience affects us in terms of what we wear or say when someone tells us that they like the outfit we have on, or our new haircut.

Yeah, visuals matter. It affects whether or not people pay attention to what we are saying, and while we may not write for an audience, there is something satisfying to know that someone is reading what you are writing and the words aren’t simply disappearing into a bit bucket.

It would be nice if appearances didn’t matter. It would be nice if our blogs were judged not by the color of the background but by the content of the words. Unfortunately, we haven’t yet achieved that dream.

So, keep on writing. It changes you and that can be a good thing.