Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lamont Blog

LamontBlog represents all that interesting and disheartening about blogs, and it’s been a trip the past few days. First, I did vote for Lamont, and some might say I threw away my vote, but I’ve been doing that since I voted for John Anderson way back when. We need people like Lamont to step up, take the hits, the verbal slings and arrows, to bring attention to problems with the status quo. I do think his candidacy forced Sen. Lieberman to re-examine his position and, perhaps, he will evolve and change. He is too savvy a politician not too, and I hope his savvy will lead him away from the war. However, I am concerned after hearing Lieberman’s speech after the election, when he said he was beholden to no one but the Connecticut voters, it sounded as if “the CT voter” was an afterthought.

I was surprised at the animosity in LamontBlog – it did not mirror the wonderful speech Lamont gave in conceding the race. His speech was about building for the future and getting things done. The blog appeared to be about tearing down. The proverbial hatchet needs to be buried so the country can move forward and resolve this war. I’m less concerned about Lieberman having an I or D following his name, as long as he votes with the Ds on the most important issues. I’m not saying that the Party should forget, but politics does breed strange bedfellows, and the more bedfellows in a vote the better.

Finally, the comment threads got depressing. M. Palmer sounded threatening – like Jason, and energyanalyst seemed more interested in insulting than conversing. If he/she is so anti-Lamont, why take the time to bait and criticize – it’s a waste of energy and reveals more about the damaged ego than the topic.

No comments: