Monday, October 30, 2006

Voices

I really like to blog. I say this because so many of my blogs appear negative or critical when they are meant to be reflective. Blogging allows me to think about something and then write my thoughts. It also gives me an excuse to write. I am intrigued with the written word and why some works are so powerful while others are flat. Since the focus of the class is how blogs and other blog like vehicles are mediums of communication, I have tried to think about how sites are physically structured, how language is used, and how readers react to the information. After reading Colin’s entry ‘I, Robot,” I went looking for McLuhan again and found this brief but informative piece. I think I better understand Colin’s comments on McLuhan and the relationship to my comments. McLuhan believed that “the underlying notion is that the message is greatly impacted by the delivery system.” That is what I was also trying to say.

The reason why blogs and similar types of computer communication can be difficult is because we use so many more tools to communicate in person. When we see someone face to face, we use words, gestures, touch, eyes, expression and voice to add, shade, or change our words. We also have the person in front of us, which can also change what we say and how. This could because we are physically affected, emotionally sensitive, or simply hypocritical. Since I believe that most of us tend to be kind, I believe that this also impacts out interpersonal relationships – if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

We have the advantage of voice when we communicate over the phone, and the distance is also a factor – more break-ups occur over the phone for the reason that the person does not have to deal with the emotion and can easily terminate the call. The issue with blogs and their medium is that you have a lot of distance. You might not know your audience so you might write too directly or so much in the middle of your anticipated audience range that you muddle your message. Or you might be analytical out loud, saying what you might be thinking while coming to a conclusion and what is read or retained is one of the options and not the conclusion. You are not directed to a person so your technique is more diffused and that can be harsh or less effective. The medium does shape the message because of its limitations. It also shapes the message because of its advantages, a broad distribution, easy entry, and, in many case, anonymity.

No comments: