Monday, March 26, 2007

Saint Joseph Cathedral

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a paper on the cathedral. I have always been intrigued by the building. At first, I thought it was out of place, even ugly. But then I walked inside and was enthralled - it really is a building of contradictions. I found a quote by Wilson Faude to the effect that the architects spent more time on the interior than on the exterior - ouch! My comment in the paper is that this is reflective of the Churches teaching - what is inside matters more than what is outside.

I have been to the Archdiocese's archives several times and I've come to realize I could easily become a recluse, hanging in archives, libraries and living in the past. I also realize I love being a student more than a teacher. If I win the lottery or when I retire, I'd like to be a student, researching, learning and writing.

No comments: