Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Henriette DeLille


When I read about people like Henriette DeLille, I realize how selfish I am. I also think that her type of generosity and love must be inspired by God. He does reach and touch a special few. I am more inspired by this type of love than I am the pomp of the Church. She is what Catholicism is all about.
I think it is also interesting that controversy and racism are still a part of her life as there are differences of opinions as to how she should be classified. Is the Church painting her darker than she was to speed the canonization process? It is ironic but looking at her portrait I would not know she was black. How strong she must have been to embrace that part of her bloodline rather than hiding from it.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing this, Jim. I'm taking the 19th Century American Literature course this semester and your post fits with a lot of what we've been discussing.

I'll say it again: I love reading your blog. :)

littleaboutlittle said...

Thanks, Sara

How's life on Lve Journal

I still visit but I've not done much commenting. How's your new class?