Friday, February 09, 2007

The Historian

I went to the library and got a book on tape. I hadn't listened to a book for a long time because Sam and I, while commuting to school and back, have been listening to sports stations or Colin (until Sam can't take it anymore). I thought I'd listen when he's not in the car. I picked the The Historian without knowing anything about it but just remembering that someone said it was great. Sam moans when he gets into the car and it is on - I forgot to turn it off. In order to act like I'm really in charge, I tell him to be quiet, I want to listen for a little while. Eureka - he gets hooked. The book is a page turner about vampires, but is well written with many fine turns of phrase and images. Now I can't listen to it without him in the car.

I love it. It's so important to find that thread of connection with your children, who you love so much that even you can't understand it. The two of us look forward to getting in the car and listening - together. It connects and joins us in a common endeavor. I love that he loves the story and the words and the images. That excitement resonates in his voice when he talks about the book with me.

Each day is a treasure. A small jewel to set aside in my box of memories. He turns 16 this weekend and that means he'll be driving and the eventual loss of our joint commute. Yea, being his chauffeur is a pain, but it's also painful to think of its ending.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Jim, I just love your writing. You always depict your relationships (with students and family alike) so beautifully.