Monday, January 01, 2007

Holidays on the road

My holiday week. Up on Saturday, 12/23 and on the road to Baltimore by 5:30 AM. Visit my brother, great time; drive to Jeanne and Jake's in Westminster. Dinner. Up early and go to Gettysburg, PA to visit Ajou and Pa Pa's grave. My heart aches every time I'm in Gettysburg. I miss them and I miss the wonderful times we had as a family while we were visiting. I wonder how hard it must be for Mo. I'm rarely nostalgic, but I'm always so when I now go to Gettysburg. Even now I have that hollow feeling writing about it. Oh, well. Drive back to Westminster. Dinner and open gifts. Jake makes up a game for every Christmas. This year it was Family Feud. It was a lot of fun. Jake truly is the salt of the earth, as Ajou always said. Wake up early and drive to Kathy's for dinner with 40, count them, 40 relatives. She did a great job and it was great to see so many people. Drive back to Westminster. Up early and on the road by 6:30 AM and return to CT. Can't sleep. Next day we drive to Providence to see Baka and Pop. Drive home.

Crash and write bills, do some year end tax work, correct unit tests, start on essays. Sunday, drive to Providence for Baka's birthday party at Cathy's - it was great. Cathy and Baka gave us a wonderful picture album. My sense is that my parents are beginning to empty their house and give items to all of us. It's healthy and good. They are 79 and 80. Drive to Boston. Hang and celebrate New Years with Rick and Lisa. Meg and Sam were with us. Cal stayed home and had a small party. 2007 will be a big year for him and us as he graduates and decides on the priesthood. I'm sure it will happen for him, but it is still up in the air and in God's hands. Drive home and write lesson plans.

What a holiday! I'm almost grateful to go back to school.

No comments: